Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Still here....

though it seems to have been a few months since I last posted (boy is time whizzing by!).

My new found interest (make up) is still with me and I am slowly getting back to the bench a little more consistently.

Below are the latest additions to my shop:
















I've a few things on my bench that I am working on.
And I am back playing with enamels a little, but this time on silver.
The one thing I didn't realise, was that some opaque enamels do not turn out on silver like they do on copper.

Here is an example of a pair that went wrong:

 I began this pair with a colour called 'Clover Pink' - which on copper looks like a deep musky pink, but on silver, it became a green with pink blobs. So then I applied 2 coats of Marigold - which is an orange/yellow colour and it fired a yellow with lots of grey flecks.

This pair however were just fine:















They were fired using Mint Green and I love the colour against the silver.

Because I don't have much experience with enamels on Silver, I never thought to do the sample pieces. I have a board with all my colours fired on copper discs so I know just how they will turn out before I bother making them. So now I need to do the same with silver.

This is what I have sampled so far apart from the above, 2 opaques and 2 transparent.























I have a whole lot to go through, but on the Metalclay US site there are a few that have been sampled on silver, so I know of a few now that won't work, the rest I have to try out for myself.

In the picture above you can see the opaque Sapphire - it looks absolutely gorgeous on silver and next to it is Bitter Green and that is almost a neon green and it looks nice and bright against the silver.

Right now my youngest is napping, so I can't prepare any earrings as it means making lots of hammering noise and I'm also waiting on a supply of earring posts. I could make my own, but I can't be bothered.....

Hope everybody who reads this is doing well and having fun in their craft!
Em ♥



4 comments:

Cinnamon Jewellery said...

Beautiful ring, I sincerely hope you were wearing bright pink lipstick when you made it!

I haven't tried enamelling on silver so had no idea the colours can do weird things! The studs do look nice with the colour against the silver though.

Silver Moss Jewellery said...

It's great to see you back again! You may have your hands full (and a temporary no-hammering policy!) but the work you're creating looks wonderful. I do love that ring... and it's always good to experiment with new ideas... I've yet to venture into enamels but was very interested to learn that they work differently on silver than copper... look forward to seeing more of your work soon :)

littlecherryhill said...

Tracy, I actually hardly wear lipstick! I'm an eyeshadow and blush girl and I was probably wearing both when I made it lol

Yeah I didn't expect the colours to react differently on silver, I figured they would be the same on copper maybe only more vibrant. So I'm in the middle of making fired samples for all my colours.

littlecherryhill said...

Thanks Silvermoss It is good to keep on your toes learning new things isn't it! You should give enamelling a try, it's great fun!