Monday, October 1, 2012

....

I've left my title blank. 
I guess it resembles how I'm feeling at the moment.
There is so much to be done.
Knowing where to start is the hard part. Though usually I'm a list writer, I'm uncertain if a list will help me get organised right now, but it's worth a try.

It is 3 years at the end of this month, that I have been working with metal.
In celebration, I am having a 30% off sale through my entire Shop
to thank you for your support!

So back to why I'm feeling blank.
It's been 3 years since I taught myself to solder and quite frankly, I don't feel I have come far enough in that time. 

Obviously I've had other commitments.
I.e. my daughter.
She and her learning/growing/happiness/wellbeing comes well before mine.
Right now she has a question for everything, possibly in the realm of 150+ a day.
I know there are many other mothers out there who juggle a hobby/business and a family  (who have more than 1 child) and I don't know how they do it.
But can I have some of what you're having??!!!

I spend far too much time comparing my work to others and my skills to theirs and instead of getting over it/past it or doing something about it, I get despondent and critical.
Constantly saying to myself 'I wish I could do that '. 
or 'why can't I do that '
or 'they do that so much better than me'
This, as I'm sure you are aware, gets you nowhere.
I know this.
So why do I do it to myself?
I don't know.

I'm going to vacuum the house .......

and do the mopping too ...
 

So to cut a long story short. 
I know deep down how fortunate I am to have the means to make anything at all, let alone to whinge about it.
This stump I'm tripping over, I will eventually be able to jump.
It just would be nice to not go through this all the time.
It stunts my creativity.
It stunts the joy I get from creating, which is ultimately why I make things in the first place. It gives me incredible joy.

Mine is not the first post of this kind. 
I've read many like it over the years.
It's a common feeling many seem to go through.
Which is a small comfort.

My next post will be more positive.
I'll make sure of that.

Em ♥



5 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

Don't stop now Em. You are just hitting your stride! Your work is and always has been good. I can tell you are very detail oriented and perfectionistic in your work. This is good and bad. Good because the work you make is so clean, but bad because you always find that one little spot that isn't just right. (I know because I think you and I have similar personalities!). And then you aren't happy with it. You are describing my feelings exactly! We all feel exactly the same sometimes. All we can do is keep plugging along. Sometimes it feels like it's all uphill, but ya just gotta keep going!

BIKBIK AND RORO said...

One of my favourite mottoes is "This too shall pass". Hang in there; these dry seasons come and go and cannot defeat us if we don't let them. It *is* a challenge juggling momhood and work and all the rest of real life; every day we learn and grow. Every day I'm learning to keep on keeping on, and to always count my blessings. You're such a talented artist; don't compare yourself with anyone else -- you are special and one-of-a-kind!

Unknown said...

Oh Em, we all feel uninspired and that our work is lacking in some way, every now and then. And then...the sun moves out from behind that dark cloud and we wonder why we ever second guessed ourselves, especially since we thoroughly enjoy what we do.
I know how you feel! Juggling family life and home responsibilities and the need, the desire, to create is tough but it all seems to work out in the end.
Hand in there!

Unknown said...

I meant hang...Hang in there!

littlecherryhill said...


Thank you all so much you wonderful ladies for taking the time to send me positive thoughts. It means so much to me. I'm feeling more upbeat today, but it's waning.